Down Under Disneyana Australian Disney Forum-Down Under Disneyana – Australia's premiere Disney fan site

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the Register link to proceed.

Club Theme Parks Trip

Keep up to date with the latest club news
Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:53 pm

how many so far ?

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:57 pm

how many so far ?
We are still at seven people so far - plus some people who may visit us in LA. I'm seeing Wayne tomorrow at lunch (we are heading to the French tourist authority in Bligh Street to pick up maps etc of Paris) and I'll see if he has an update on the numbers then.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:07 pm

I know we don't need visas for the US and Japan. while there tomorow could you find out if one is needed for France?

WayneG
B Ticket
B Ticket

Postby WayneG » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:07 pm

Gerard,

We do not need Visa's for France. I checked the other day.

Wayne

KeithS
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby KeithS » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:27 pm

I know we don't need visas for the US and Japan. while there tomorow could you find out if one is needed for France?
Hey Gerard (and all fellow travellers) here is a run down on some basic information courtesy of yours truly!

Passports and Visas
I am assuming here that we are all travelling on Australian passports...in that case, we do not need visas for Hong Kong, France, or the US as long as your passport is machine readable (which would be everyone's - non machine readable passports haven't been issued by Australia for more than 10 years, so they should all have expired - check that you have the two lines of 44 characters at the bottom of the bio-page.)

Your passport must have six months validity.

Whilst travelling in France, it is the law that foreign visitors must carry their passport with them at all times.

Checked Baggage restrictions.
Sydney - Hong Kong: 1 x 20kg (QANTAS)
Hong Kong - Paris: No maximum number of bags but total combined weight cannot exceed 20kg (CATHAY)
Paris - Orlando: 2 x 23kg each (AA)
Orlando - LA: 2 x 23kg each (AA)
LA - Sydney - 2 x 32kg each (QANTAS)
(Maximum combined size limitations also apply.)

US Entry Requirements
For entry into the United States, you must have the correct address of the Pop Century Resort (including the postcode) at check-in in Paris. The airline is required to collect this information prior to our boarding the aircraft - this is a new requirement as at 5 October 2005.

The address is:

Pop Century Resort
1050 Century Drive
Lake Buena Vista, FL, 32830

Power and Plugs
If you are taking a video camera, digital camera, mobile phone etc - you will need to get convertor plugs so that you can recharge your devices. The following is a list of devices for the Countries we are visiting.
Hong Kong - 220V - 50hz. Hong Kong uses a type "G" plug, the same type of plug as the UK, making it easy to find a convertor at Dick Smith.

Japan - 100V - 50hz. Japan uses a type "A" plug, the same as the US, once again making it easy to locate and adaptor.

France - 230V - 50hz. France uses a type "E" plug. This is unique to France and French (and ex-French) colonies. I haven't looked for suppliers of these yet. If I find them for sale, I'll update this FAQ.

United States - 120V - 60hz. As with Japan, most areas of the US operate the type "A" plug (or the "B" plug for earthed appliances - it is the three pronged version.) Adaptors available at Dick Smith.

Attraction Updates
California Screamin' in DCA is slated to be closed for 2 - 5 October 2006 due to construction work for a new attraction (Midway Madness) and a general refurb. This is confirmed but subject to extension/change.
Haunted Mansion in Disneyland will be operating from September 29 with its Halloween Christmas overlay.
Matterhorn Bobsleds in Disneyland will be closed during our stay.
The Golden Horseshoe will be reopening 7 October after a short closure.
Gadget's Go-coaster in Toontown will be closed from 2 October for maintenance.
Cinderellabration finishes at WDW on the 16th September - so (tragically) we'll miss it :(

Park Opening Hours
Hong Kong - not confirmed but it is likely to be 10:00am - 8:00pm. This may be extended the week we are there because of the 1 year anniversary of the park.

Paris - Disneyland Park 10:00am - 8:00pm;
Paris - Walt Disney Studios Park 10:00am - 6:00pm.
These are confirmed times but subject to special event changes.

Orlando - Magic Kingdom 9:00am daily - 8:00pm on Tuesday and Wednesdays; 9:00pm all other days (except the night of the Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party - which finishes late!)
Orlando - Epcot 9:00am daily to 7:00pm for Future World and 9:00pm for World Showcase.
Orlando - Animal Kingdom Park 9:00am - 5:00pm daily.
Orlando - Disney - MGM Studios 9:00am - 8:00pm daily.
These are confirmed times but subject to special event changes. Also each park has "Extra Magic Hours" available on certain days where the parks are open up to three hours longer for guests of the resort (like us!)

Anaheim - the October calendar is not yet available but September operating hours are:
Anaheim - Disneyland 10:00am - 8:00pm Monday to Thursday; 9:00am - 10:00pm Fridays; 9:00am - midnight Saturdays; 9:00am - 10:00pm Sunday.
Anaheim - DCA 10:00am - 6:00pm Monday to Thursday; 10:00am - 8:00pm Fridays; 10:00am - 9:00pm Saturdays; 10:00am - 8:00pm Sunday.

Disneyland Paris Park Map
Thanks to a work collegue (thanks Craig!) I've been able to get a copy of the April 2006 Map of Disneyland Paris. I couldn't find one anywhere on the web, so Craig let me borrow his for the weekend (he has just returned from Paris DL) and I've scanned it - you can view it here:
http://www.dudisneyana.info/gallery/dis ... fullsize=1

The other park maps are available elsewhere on the web - but as far as I can see, this is the only good Paris one!

...to be continued...
Let me know if you want other stuff added to this list (useful websites, contact numbers, bail lawyers :) etc), and I'll continue to update it over the next few weeks.
Last edited by KeithS on Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:18 am, edited 11 times in total.
Keith

Trip history:
DLR: 2005, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 15, 18
DLRP: 2006
HKDL: 2006 (Mar & Sept), 11 (Apr & Dec), 14, 19
SDR: 2017
TDR: 2008, 10, 17
WDW: 2006, 13 (Mar & Sept), 16, 19
DCL: 2013, 15 (Alaska & Hawaii), 18
Aulani: 2015

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:05 am

thanks for the info.
for those going to Tokyo, The Tower of Terror is opening the week we arrive \:D/

Minnies Yoo Hoo
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Minnies Yoo Hoo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:06 am

Hi Gerard

Yes our timing will be perfect for the opening of the Tower of Terror! We have been told that the Japanese don't like the "thrill" rides all that much which will be all the better for us! Jim was under a lot of pressure at work to wait a few more days to start his holidays (change to starting in HongKong) but after much discussion (and tantrum throwing from me) we are sticking to the original plan and beginning our tour in Japan. Have you ever been to Tokyo Disneyland or Disney seas before?

We are going to ask Keith if we can have "Tokyo" added into the T-shirt spiel (even if it's just for us guys going there) What do you think?

Julie and Jim

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:19 am

I have been to the japan parks in 2003. I found them cleaner, better maintained and with a lot more attention to detail than the US parks.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:47 pm

We have been told that the Japanese don't like the "thrill" rides all that much which will be all the better for us!
Hi Julie & Jim. I visited TDL in 1999 and I'm sure theres been lots of changes since then, but I am quite sure that one thing hasn't - the Japanese people REALLY don't get carried away on the thrill rides. I was quite literally the ONLY one making any noise on Star Tours or Big Ch- oops - Thunder Mountain. Not that that stopped me of course!\:D/

You'll love TDL. And you're right Gerard - its so CLEAN! And so polite. Loved it!

~Lisa

Minnies Yoo Hoo
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Minnies Yoo Hoo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:23 am

Hi Lisa,

Isn't that strange, I always thought of Japan as a modern society, thats up for anything. I know that on visits to Disneyland we always noticed that the Japanese would be inpecably dressed (like they would be going to the office) but never realised that overall they prefer to ride Winnie the Pooh's honey pot over Space or Big Thunder mountain. We love them all and spend just as much time in queues for Dumbo as we do for Indiana Jones (one of our favourites) and someone please tell me how can you keep your mouth shut and not yell with the sheer pleasure that rides like that give you. As for the cleanliness part, how can it be cleaner than Disneyland? You may see a odd paper here or there in the queue area of a ride, or floating in the rivers of America, but nothing to complain about.
Looks like Disney will be opening our eyes in more ways than one on this trip.

Ps We look foward to meeting you in person at the "Pirates meeting" I think that the combination of you and Sandie together will be something not to be missed!

Julie and Jim

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:22 pm

one thing i found weird, (aside from the mouse speaking Japanese) was that most of the attractions are in Japanese ie Country Bears, Haunted Mansion. But all the anouncements for parades etc are in English.

Also there is non of that do you stand or sit for the parade debate as everyone sits.

And yes they are very polite although I did suspect the jungle skipper did play lets take the mickey out of the one caucasian guy in the park.

mushu mama
Annual Pass
Annual Pass

Postby mushu mama » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:25 pm

Isn't that strange, I always thought of Japan as a modern society, thats up for anything.

Make sure you check out their 'reality/game' shows on the TV when you are there - believe me - sometimes they ARE up for anything! Mind boggling!
someone please tell me how can you keep your mouth shut and not yell with the sheer pleasure that rides like that give you.
It would certainly take some resolve (although Splash Mountain made em at least wimper :twisted:) - I personally wouldn't even try - eyes shut, arms in the air and go with it I say!\:D/
You may see a odd paper here or there in the queue area of a ride, or floating in the rivers of America, but nothing to complain about.
If I ask nicely Greg might set me up an album and I'll upload some photos of our trip and you can see the lengths they go to - When your're waiting for the parade they walk around with a spray bottle and cloth and CLEAN THE ROAD! I can't remember seeing any rubbish anywhere! Another tip: take the time to find a western Loo - the local variety are downright scary! probably shouldn't put that photo on though :)

Ps We look foward to meeting you in person at the "Pirates meeting" I think that the combination of you and Sandie together will be something not to be missed!
I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone too. That bar sounds a little high-I'm just another 'normal' Disney nut - and people - a little forewarning - I really suck at trivia.............. :D

The costume's coming along nicely though :twisted:

~Lisa

Minnies Yoo Hoo
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Minnies Yoo Hoo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Mushu wrote

When your're waiting for the parade they walk around with a spray bottle and cloth and CLEAN THE ROAD!

That will have to be seen to be believed. Have you got any photos of that Lisa? Oh please Greg can you set them up for us all to look at.
And how do you know from the outside if it's a western loo? Does it say that on the outside or does the smell give it away (sorry I'm sinking really low here but I need to know)

And Mushu also wrote

and people - a little forewarning - I really suck at trivia

Don't worry about that, a lot of us do. The trick is to either sit near Manwell or Gerard and your guaranteed to be a winner!

Minnies Yoo Hoo
A Ticket
A Ticket

Postby Minnies Yoo Hoo » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:51 pm

Gerard wrote

Also there is non of that do you stand or sit for the parade debate as everyone sits

Does this mean that you sit three or four deep? and what if you have a movie camera on a tripod (there's bound to be one or two of them in Japan) or are there designated areas for their use?

As for the mouse speaking Japanese, that sounds like it should be really funny. We are really looking foward to that!

Gerard
E Ticket
E Ticket

Postby Gerard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:57 pm

Unfortunately no. the cast members will enforce the sitting rule no exceptions. They enforce them in Japanese and even if you don’t understand they will still tell you again and again in Japanese until you submit.

Another weird thing I found is although the Japanese dress well for the parks they will all wear the Disney hats and ears

kuchnie Czeladź

Return to “Down Under Disneyana News”